Adventure in Argentina

Sunday, April 09, 2006

This past week

On Wednesday I saw Woody Allen's Match Point, in English. If you've seen his Crimes and Misdemeanors, this would make a good companion piece.

On Thursday I saw Ice Age 2 dubbed in Spanish. (The squirrel is still the best part.) Afterwards I met with someone who works in a small manufacturing company to talk about where I might fit in working as an intern. Since it seemed like there might be a place for me, tomorrow (Monday) I have an interview. I be talking with their system and network administrator about the possibility of working there for a time. This company is a little bit outside of the city proper, so I'll need to take a bus and then a train to get there. I don't know how long it will take, but I'll guess 40-60 minutes.

Last night I again made the trek out of the city to meet with the church. Arriving took over 2 hours this time. They were doing construction around the halfway point, so we all had to get off the train and take a bus to another train station and then get on another train. Oh, and of course I had to take a bus to get to the first train station. Next week I'm definitely taking the bus, which costs a dollar instead of 50 cents but probably takes less than a hour to get me there.

Someone asked about the neighborhood I'm living in. Well, it's called Recoleta and it's right in the middle of the city, so it's noisy and the air quality isn't so great. It's near several buildings that are part of the University of Buenos Aires, mostly medicine, dentistry and science buildings, so there are lots of students are around during the day. (UBA doesn't have a campus, so its buildings are spread all over the city.) This neighborhood is fairly residential, so there's few people at night, and on weekends it's pretty dead. Most of the stores are closed on weekends in this area.

Recoleta has a reputation for fairly expensive and for housing a lot of tourists. I live in near the southern edge of this area, so if I walk a few blocks southwest I'm into a neighborhood with few tourists that happens to be a great place to shop for clothes and shoes. I had to go there yesterday to buy some pants for the interview I have on Monday.

5 Comments:

  • I was wondering where you were living. Just looking through my pictures this morning....it makes me happy to think of you there now!!!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 11:54 AM  

  • Sounds as though you're really getting acquainted with the city. Bet the bus service is better than here in the Mpls. area.

    Are you daring to initiate conversations with bus passengers?
    Just another opportunidad (sp.?) to practice!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:57 PM  

  • Hola Sendai...que barbaro eh resulto ser que vivis en una de las partes mas chetas de Buenos Aires...T comento que si vivis cerca de por ahi tambien estas cerca de la facultad de derecho de la UBA a la cual concurro yo muy vagamente dos veces por semana ajjja..La verdad t felicito por el lugar esta linda la zona que te elegiste...
    Bueno t mando un beso nos vemos quizas pronto chauchissss

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:28 PM  

  • OK people you can congratulate Paul now, he did speak Spanish this time (he spoke more English though.. pero bueno)and his remarks about the Falklands being Argentine made him deserve the many applauses from the people at the table.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 AM  

  • Hola green-go!!

    Ok now that I have Sak's permission (ajá...) I'll congratulate U... for having patience with that obstinate argentinian in both languages hehehe

    Salu2 green-go

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home