Adventure in Argentina

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July!

Happy 4th for all my friends and family at home. Of course, here in Argentina it's just a day like any other. The Argentine indepenence day is July 9th, which is this coming Sunday. I suspect that means that I don't have to work next Monday.

There's a bar here called "Remember the Alamo" that often has a lot of Americans in it. I'm sure they're having a big bash tonight, but I probably won't go. I go to an English/Spanish coversation group on Tuesday nights, and it's usually a lot of fun.

It's been unseasonably warm here the past week, with temperatures in the mid to upper 60s. I was dumb enough to wear a sweater today, and boy was I warm. It's also been so wet and humid that there's a some moss growing in the cracks in the sidewalk near my apartment.

Yesterday I went to see the Picasso exhibit that came to town last month. I'm not a big art fan, but I figure it's good for me to get some culture. Unfortunately, the exhibit was kind of lame. There were maybe 3 paintings, but the rest of it was just photographs of the master painter and some scribbled drawings on random pieces of paper. Disappointing, but at least it was free because it was Monday. This art gallery is in a fancy shopping mall downtown. Last time I went there they had some decent exhibits, including a photography exhibit that I really liked.

2 Comments:

  • I think people suffer from snobbisness. At that exhibit you could see people staring at the drawings as if they were briliant masterpieces. Those who understand -or pretend to understand- about art will call me an ignorant. To my eyes, those drawings were horrible.
    It's amazing how human societies work, isnt it? The guy made an awful drawing, somehow someone was interested on it, and began to see things that really dont exist, like the mood of the artist at the time he was painting or the feelings showed through the characters.
    On the other hand I could draw a beautiful character and people would just say I'm an idiot.. so how does this work? Are we admiring art or are we admiring names and pretending we understand just because it makes us look cultured?

    By Blogger Noelia Zaballa, at 10:46 PM  

  • I went to the Malba the other day because there is an exhibit of Roy Lichtenstein. Very cool, very cool indeed. If you go on Wednesday, it's free!.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home